– Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior.
– It is the most common form of dementia.
– It accounts for 60% to 80% of dementia cases.
– Alzheimer’s worsens over time
– Alzheimer’s has no current cure.
10 Signs of Alzheimer’s
1) Memory loss that disrupts daily life.
2) Challenges planning or solving problems.
3) Difficulty completing familiar tasks.
4) Confusion with time or place.
5) Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships.
6) New problems with words in speaking or writing.
7) Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps.
8) Decreased or poor judgment.
9) Withdrawal from work or social network.
10) Changes in mood and personality.
10 Ways to Love Your Brain
1) Break a Sweat – Engage in regular cardiovascular exercise that elevates your heart rate and increases blood flow to the brain and body. Several studies have found an association between physical activity and reduced risk of cognitive decline. 2) Hit the Books – Formal education will help reduce the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Take a class at a local college community center or online. 3) Butt Out – Smoking increases the risk of cognitive decline. Quitting smoking can reduce risk to levels comparable to those who have not smoked. 4) Follow Your Heart – Risk factors for cardiovascular disease and stroke – obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes – negatively impact your health 5) Heads Up – Brain injury can raise the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Wear a seatbelt and use a helmet when playing contact sports or riding a bike. 6) Fuel Up Right – Eat a balanced diet that is higher in vegetables and fruit to help reduce the risk of cognitive decline. 7) Catch Some Zzz’s – Not getting enough sleep may result in problems with memory and thinking 8) Take Care of Your Mental Health – Some studies link depression with cognitive decline, so seek treatment if you have depression, anxiety or stress. 9) Buddy Up – Staying socially engaged may support brain health. Find ways to be part of your local community or share activities with friends and family. 10) Stump Yourself – Challenge your mind. Build a piece of furniture. Play games of strategy, like bridge, crossword puzzles, etc.
Alzheimer’s Quick Facts
– More than 5 Million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s.
– Every 66 seconds someone in the United States develops the disease.
– Alzheimer’s Disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
– It kills more than breast and prostate cancer combined.
– 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
Belina Calderon-Nernberg is the CEO and founder of 1Heart Caregiver Services. Recently offering 1Heart franchise business opportunities to the public, Belina provided the vision, leadership, and direction that the company needed to achieve its goal of making a positive difference in the homecare industry. As her greatest accomplishment, the company is now equipped with the expertise to expand its business operations to different States in the U.S. Belina brings with her a corporate experience of 25 years, with 15 solid years of experience as CEO of an employment agency and a senior care service company in Southern California. Belina has a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of St. La Salle, Philippines. She has been the recipient of several awards given to emerging leaders in business, community service, arts, and entertainment. She has also been honored as an Ambassador of Goodwill by the HiFi (Historic Filipinotown) Neighborhood Council. This title is bestowed to carefully selected Filipino-Americans who are persons of integrity who have the ability “to promote, reach out, influence and mobilize public interest and support of the ideals, values, principles, and programs of the Historic Filipinotown.