Christmas is hyped up to be a magical time of merriment and joy, but the realities for seniors who are in wheelchairs may be a little more challenging. For aging adults who depend on family caregivers, senior care providers and a wheelchair, the Christmas season can be frustrating, lonely and depression. It’s important for family caregivers to put in a lot of extra effort to help their elderly loved one in finding activities and events that bring them joy and where their wheelchair is no obstacle.
Senior Care Whittier CA – 7 Christmas Activities for Wheelchair-bound Seniors
Here are 7 Christmas activities that seniors in wheelchairs can do to enhance their holiday season, with the help of family caregivers, senior care providers and close friends:
1. Decorate the Wheelchair:Everyone gets the chance to decorate a tree, but how many people have the fun of decorating a wheelchair. Seniors can use tinsel, ornaments, paper snowflakes and even lights to make their wheelchair festive. Many elderly adults will get a kick out of spreading holiday cheer via their wheelchair decorations wherever they go.
2. Baking Cookies and Delivering Them:Christmas cookies are everyone’s favorite tradition, and seniors in wheelchairs can participate, too. With the help of a senior care provider, elderly adults can make cookies and deliver them. Delivery ideas include neighbors, the local police station, the local fire station, emergency room workers, a women’s and children’s shelter and other places where seniors want to show appreciation.
3. Attending a Christmas Concert:Most performance venues are wheelchair-accessible, making this one of the best ideas for elderly adults who want to enjoy music or theater. Whether it’s a performance of old favorites or exposure to something new, Christmas concerts and performances deliver a massive dose of holiday cheer.
4. Shopping for Christmas Presents: The Christmas hustle and bustle of department stores, boutiques and malls are quite enjoyable to many aging adults. Family caregivers and senior care providers can plan out which stores the senior wants to visit and accompany them as they shop for gifts and perhaps pay a visit to Santa Claus.
5. Christmas Crafting:Few things are better than a homemade gift, and many elderly adults enjoy expressing themselves creatively. Family caregivers and senior care providers can get a lot of good ideas from the internet and set up the aging adult with the materials they need to do Christmas crafts.
6. Neighborhood Christmas Lights: Everyone loves to look at Christmas lights in their neighborhood, and elderly adults can enjoy riding around in the car with family members while Christmas songs play. Seniors don’t even need to bring their wheelchair on this fun-filled adventure.
7. Hosting a Party: Instead of going somewhere in a wheelchair, elderly adults can bring the Christmas celebrations to them. They can host a family gathering or a party with friends in their own home. Theme parties are fun, or they can do a cookie exchange, white elephant gift exchange or just enjoy good food and good company.
Belina Calderon-Nernberg is the CEO and founder of 1Heart Caregiver Services. Recently offering 1Heart franchise business opportunities to the public, Belina provided the vision, leadership, and direction that the company needed to achieve its goal of making a positive difference in the homecare industry. As her greatest accomplishment, the company is now equipped with the expertise to expand its business operations to different States in the U.S. Belina brings with her a corporate experience of 25 years, with 15 solid years of experience as CEO of an employment agency and a senior care service company in Southern California. Belina has a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of St. La Salle, Philippines. She has been the recipient of several awards given to emerging leaders in business, community service, arts, and entertainment. She has also been honored as an Ambassador of Goodwill by the HiFi (Historic Filipinotown) Neighborhood Council. This title is bestowed to carefully selected Filipino-Americans who are persons of integrity who have the ability “to promote, reach out, influence and mobilize public interest and support of the ideals, values, principles, and programs of the Historic Filipinotown.
Home Care Manhattan Beach CA - How Do the Senses Change as Your Parents Get Older?