Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, is one of the most common mental health concerns experienced throughout the United States. Approximately 70 percent of the population of the country has experienced at least one truly traumatic event in their lives, and at least 20 percent of those will develop PTSD as a result. This condition can have a negative impact on your parent’s health and well-being, and diminish their quality of life. The home health care that you give them as their family caregiver can help them to manage this condition in the way that is right for them and avoid potentially serious consequences.
Home Health Care Seal Beach CA – Tips for Caring for a Senior Who is Suffering from PTSD
June is National PTSD Awareness Month.This is the ideal opportunity for you to learn about this condition and what you can do to help your parent deal with it effectively and healthily.
Use these tips to help you care for a senior who is suffering from PTSD:
• Understand the event.Talk to your parent about what they have gone through and how it impacted them. Try to understand what it is about the event that caused the trauma. Remember that this is a very personal experience and even if you do not fully understand why the event was so difficult for your loved one, that does not mean that it was not challenging for them.
• Evaluate based on them, not yourself.PTSD is a very personal experience because trauma is a very personal experience. When your loved one is going through this, do not look at the event or their reactions as you believe that you would deal with them. Instead, be compassionate and empathetic and dedicate yourself to helping them.
• Encourage them to get support.As with other mental health issues, it is very important that your aging parent seek out and receive help and support for their condition. Seek out a support group for those who live with PTSD and encourage your loved one to participate in it regularly.
• Support a healthy lifestyle.Encourage your parent to make healthy lifestyle choices daily. This includes eating a healthy diet, staying active, and getting enough sleep. This will help to keep their mental and emotional health and well-being better as well.
• Find coping mechanisms.Encourage your parent to find coping mechanisms that will help them to cope with their PTSD reactions. If they are feeling anxious or upset about something, encourage them to take a walk, have a conversation with someone, listen to music, or do something else that will distract them and reduce their symptoms.
If you have been looking for ways to improve your elderly loved one’s quality of life and achieve and maintain a fulfilling lifestyle as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to start home health care for them. A senior home health care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule that is ideal for their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, but also for the amount and type of care that you give to them.
This home health care provider can give your senior a highly personalized set of services designed to help them stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy, but also to encourage a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, and fulfilling as possible as they age in place. These services can include anything from providing safe and reliable transportation to get them where they need and want to go, to helping them manage activities of daily living and personal care, to providing companionship and emotional support.
This can give you peace of mind knowing that they will get everything that they need to enjoy their later years both when you are with them and when you are not.
Belina Calderon-Nernberg is the CEO and founder of a group of successful companies – 1Heart Caregiver Services, LA Jobs Employment Agency Inc. and Summit Medical Billing Solutions, Inc.
As the CEO of 1Heart Caregiver Services, one of the fastest growing in-home care service companies in California, Belina has been responsible for the company’s increased productivity and consistent profitability for more than 12 years. Belina provided the vision, leadership, and direction that the company needed to achieve its short-term and long-term goals. As her greatest accomplishment, the company is now equipped with the expertise to expand its business operations to different States in the U.S.
Belina brings with her a corporate experience of 23 years, with 13 solid years of experience as CEO of an employment agency and a senior care service company in Southern California. Belina’s principle-centered leadership and strength in her ability to combine corporate talents pave the way for the company to achieve greater heights.
Belina has a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of St. La Salle, Philippines. In 2013, she was honored with the Los Angeles IMAGE AWARDS – an award given to emerging leaders in business, community service, arts and entertainment.
In June 2014, she was also awarded the title of Ambassador of Goodwill by the HiFi (Historic Filipinotown) Neighborhood Council. This title is bestowed to carefully selected Filipino-Americans who are persons of integrity who have the ability “to promote, reach out, influence and mobilize public interest and support of the ideals, values, principles and programs of the Historic Filipinotown.” In December 2015, she was also the recipient of the TOPLA (The Outstanding Pilipinos in Los Angeles) Award for Leadership Excellence in Human Resources.
1Heart Caregiver Services is a certified member of CAHSAH and has been featured in Asian newspapers and other media publications all over the United States like Yahoo! News, Google, TV, radio and newspaper online due to its various accomplishments, corporate programs, and contribution to the senior care industry. Belina’s vision remains solid and strategic as the company moves forward in its goal of making a positive difference in the home care industry.
Home Health Care Manhattan Beach CA - What Are the Warning Signs of a Heart Attack?